Thursday 27 August 2020

Poem Day

 Don't Go Far Off, Not Even For A Day

Pablo Neruda

By Pablo Neruda More Pablo Neruda

Don't go far off, not even for a day, because --
because -- I don't know how to say it: a day is long
and I will be waiting for you, as in an empty station
when the trains are parked off somewhere else, asleep.

Don't leave me, even for an hour, because
then the little drops of anguish will all run together,
the smoke that roams looking for a home will drift
into me, choking my lost heart.

Oh, may your silhouette never dissolve on the beach;
may your eyelids never flutter into the empty distance.
Don't leave me for a second, my dearest,

because in that moment you'll have gone so far
I'll wander mazily over all the earth, asking,
Will you come back? Will you leave me here, dying?



Source:https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/dont-go-far-off-not-even-for-a-day-by-pablo-neruda

9 comments:

  1. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    Yet so many will be dying lonely...
    That must be horrible - IF the person still realizes his/her loneliness.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane B.....It is

    Margaret D.....Thanks

    Mareitte.........Yes that is so sad

    ReplyDelete
  3. An aching heart longing for a love one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jo-Anne, I've never heard of nor read any poetry by Neruda. Thank you so must for sharing. The poignancy of the poem just ripped open my heart. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This poem seems like an appropriate pick for this time of Covid and so many people losing loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy.......So many do, sadly

    Mama.......I am pleased

    Dee.......I didn't either, till now and I liked this poem

    Karen......,Yes it does

    ReplyDelete

Lest we forget

  They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and i...