Monday 1 July 2024

Spain

 


Good morning bloggers or is it good afternoon or good evening whatever time you are reading this doesn’t matter, what does matter is how blessed I am to have some wonderful followers, just saying.

This week we are looking at Spain, which is in Western Europe, it has a population of 47 million, the capital is Madrid. It dominates most of the Lberian Peninsula in southwest Europe.

It’s official name is the Kingdom of Spain and was originally called Hispania.

They have a Parliamentary Monarchy with King Felipe VI as the head of state.



The national flag of Spain, as it is defined in the Constitution of 1978, consists of three horizontal stripes: red, yellow and red, the yellow stripe being twice the height of each red stripe. Traditionally, the middle stripe was defined by the more archaic term of gualda, and hence the popular name la Rojigualda.

It is a country famous for its culture, which includes flamenco dancing and bullfighting, it also has some beautiful beaches.

The country’s official language is Spanish or Castilian Spanish, which is spoken by everyone. However, certain Autonomous Communities have their own official language in addition to Spanish. Catalan is spoken in Catalonia, Galician in Galicia, and Basque in the Basque Country and part of Navarre.



Of course, we can’t talk about Spain and not mention bullfighting. Spanish-style bullfighting is a type of bullfighting that is practiced in several Spanish-speaking countries: Spain, Mexico, Ecuador, Venezuela, Peru, as well as in parts of southern France and Portugal.

Although it is still legal in Spain there are some Spanish cities that outlawed it and there are only a few countries throughout the world where it still goes on.

20 comments:

  1. There is a people group in Basque that have a rare blood type that appears only there. Fun fact!

    I really enjoy your posts, Jo-Anne. I have learned so many interesting things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that fun fact thank you for telling me I find that quite interesting. I am pleased you like my posts

      Delete
  2. When I think of Spain, I think of bullfighting and the Spanish Inquisition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of the bullfighting, which I do not like it is cruel

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I know nothing about Spain. Now I know a little more. I think of dancers when I think of Spain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a country famous for its culture which includes Flamenco dance, bullfights, fantastic beaches, famous artists, wines to die for, literature, architecture and Catholic churches to die for. But the idea of starving, torturing and massacring bulls is not cultural in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not fond of the bullfighting, though here it's fun to watch since there's no blood involved. Don't know if that has changed over there. There are a lot of Basque folk in my neck of the woods. I'd love to visit there one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know anything about bullfighting but I still don't approve of it

      Delete
  6. I've never liked the bullfighting, but would love to see a real rodeo here in the States. Good article, Jo-Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen a rodeo either or bullfighting except on tv, pleased you liked the post

      Delete
  7. I don't understand the bullfighting and never will. It reminds me of the Romans watching people kill each other in the arenas or people gathering and bringing their kids to watch hangings or beheadings. Must be something odd in the human DNA. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you regarding the bullfighting

      Delete

  8. I am very happy to read your blog.

    When I was a teenager I lived as an au pair in Spain. But I don't like bullfights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased you like the blog and how cool being an au pair in Spain as a teenager

      Delete
  9. Felipe, eh? I lost track after Juan Carlos...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son and his family just got back from Spain - they stayed about ten days. They just loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Surinam Toad

  Hello everyone since it is Tuesday it is freaky creature day and today’s creature is the Surinam Toad. The common Surinam toad or star-f...