Tuesday 16 July 2024

A bit about cats

 


Who wants to know a bit more about the cat family? Cats in the wild are classified as small, medium and large depending on size. They are also divided into three groups based on their traits.

Domestic cats and their wild relatives share many characteristics, they all have short strong jaws and sharp teeth. All cats are good hunters, small cats eat while standing and the big cats prefer to eat lying down.

Domestic cats can hold their tails low and swing them to show if they are playful or nervous and an upright tail is a sign of alertness. A wild cat’s tail will be upright when on alert as well.    



It is believed that us humans have had cats as pets for around 8,000 years. This may have had a lot to do with the fact they are such good hunters, thus keeping down the number of mice, rats and snakes.

I think most know that the Egyptians worshiped cats and believed them to be the Goddess Bast, this is why it waw illegal to kill or trade in them.



Cats living in forests such as the jaguar or cloudy leopard, have short stocky limbs. This is why they are better at climbing trees to ambush their prey.

It is believed by some that the domestic cat can make something like 60 different sounds which may have different meanings. A meow can mean a friendly greeting, or it can just as likely be an expression of curiosity, hunger or maybe it is just lonely.

Purring as most of us know is assign of contentment it is also a sound they make when sick.

Hissing and growling and screaming means they are angry and frightened.

15 comments:

  1. I love cats. I've had 2 mainecoons and 1 Norwegian Forest cat - they are agile hunters with very big paws and have stocky limbs. Smart!
    Now I have a sweet domestic gray tabby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting cats. I'm done with litter boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of cats ... all kinds. They are always so elegant and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cats - but I love dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this information. I like cats but we are allergic to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my eldest is allergic as well and not just cats but dogs as well

      Delete
  6. I love cats. For being domesticated for so many thousands of years they haven't lost the instinct to hunt and are still very different in personalities, temperament, likes and dislikes--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes like dogs they are all different personality wise

      Delete

  7. Cats are very interesting animals, even in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And domestic ones who live with loving caretakers are very loving back to them. They reflect back what they are given.

    ReplyDelete

Week 36 of 2024

  I slept through the night, when the alarm went off at 5am I got up went to the toilet took my meds and went back to bed till 6.30am. It ...