Friday 3 May 2024

Parkinson's Disease and constipation as well as skin issues

 


Ok it is Friday, so it is time for another post about Parkinson’s Disease.

When you think about Parkinson’s do you connect it with constipation? I never did, although I have now learnt that it is extremely common for PD suffers to have to deal with it. This is because the normal muscular activity of the bowel is reduced.

Thankfully I do not have an issue with this, but because I know it can be a problem I make a note of each time I go just so when I am asked about the problem, I have an idea how often I go. Some may think that is a bit odd but what do I care.

It is a condition that can be made worse by anticholinergic drugs as well as reduced physical exercise and activity.

That said it rarely causes major problems.

Moving on from that to skin problems this book I am using says that it those with PD can have greasy, scaly skin, what the hell, no just no, I do not want that. Ok I don’t want any of it but still.

The condition is called seborrhoea and results in greasy hair and eyebrows with irritation and dandruff and a rather greasy shiny complexion. I do not want to go back to my teenage years.

Ok to help keep this under control one should wash their hair regularly, which I do and wash their skin daily with normal soap which I do. So maybe I will not end up with these problems because I do not want them.

Next week we will talk about eyesight.

14 comments:

  1. Medicine’s are probably the main reason for constipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eight longgggggggg days of matza eating over Passover caused terrible constipation in most people I talked to. I hear the pain still :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treat the symptoms as they happen I expect Jo-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew there were so many side effects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you aren't having to deal with either of those issues! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there, Jo-Anne; we are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have enough side affects - pray no more are coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ask God for strength and guidance all the time

      Delete
  8. So many different symptoms- not to make light of it at all, but it begins to sound like Misty's Addisons disease. How on earth can a doctor diagnose it?

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's and Swollen Ankles

  Hello everyone, I had a rough night, but I have managed to get up as usual check emails and read some blogs. Now it is time for another po...