Friday 11 August 2023

Jo-Anne's Thoughts

 Well here I am at take two as I lost take one, thankfully I hadn't written much but still annoying. I type my post out on the laptop saving as I go along which is why I noticed a problem, what I wrote couldn't be saved, same with my diary entry and the program shut down and I had to restart it thus losing what I had written.

Since it is Friday it is the day for my thoughts, which of course are all over the damn place but that's how I roll. As I sit here thinking about what to write I can see all the money boxes I have sitting on the TV stand I have 10 in total. Three of which are mine the others are for my grandchildren including Daemon and Freya who are not grandchildren but my great-nephew and great-niece. Since I don't go shopping like I use to money hasn't been added much in the last few years, I hope that changes soon.

I started thinking about whether I had a money box as a child and honestly I can't remember having one. I do remember having a bank account used for school banking and my mum & dad gave me money to put into that each week.

I also don't think my girls had a money box when they were young girls but they also had school banking.

I started the money boxes for my grandchildren when Blain my eldest grandchild was a baby and I also deposited $1 each week into their bank accounts. This I did for many years.

I wonder at times if the youth of today have any real idea about saving money, I know my grandchildren do because they have told me at times how they saved up to buy such and such and how long it took and what they did to earn the money.

None of them have a regular payment of pocket money or what some would call an allowance but if they wish to purchase something that cost a bit they need to do something to earn the money, small toys and such will just be bought if requested but only if they are doing their regular chores around the house. Such as cleaning their room or in Sam's case cleaning out the bunnies cage.

Share your thoughts on my thoughts if you wish.


9 comments:

  1. I take it the money box is like what over here we would call a piggy bank, right? Great idea. My folks started us kids with bank accounts--savings accounts--when we were born. But when I was a teenager I asked about it when I was getting ready to plan for junior college...and they had taken the money out many years ago my mom told me. So much for the big lesson and having my little savings account book from the bank. That's how old I am--you had a booklet that they stamped when you added money to your savings account. I remember the odd feeling of having that little booklet still from the 50s but the account was actually empty and long gone. That's what my parents taught me about money. Putting it in there so my folks could take it out later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my parents never touched our savings, I had $1,000 in the bank when I was 15. My mum grew up with little privacy and as a result would never invade our privacy and any money given to us was ours and not for our parents to touch

      Delete
  2. I had a piggy bank, and as a teen, I had a savings account in the bank. My kids had a literal metal box they kept their savings in until it grew enough to put into a savings account. All three were, and the two I still have are, great savers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the most part my girls have pretty good money sense and know how to save for things they want

      Delete
  3. What a great thing to do for your grandchildren, Jo-Anne! Maybe, I need to do the same. Their dad is not a great handler of money, sad to say, though my daughter was always careful with funds she had when growing up. Sorry to say, but her husband controls the purse strings way too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad always taught us that any money he earned was the families money not just his and when Tim tried controlling all his wages dad told him different explaining what I did was hard work raising children and taking care of the household.

      Delete
  4. It must be the day for things going wrong, I couldn't get Pinterest to create my pin this morning.

    ReplyDelete

Australian's Under Fire in PNG

  Ok it is time for some more about Australia under fire in 1942 starting off this week with Port Moresby, which is in the PNG or Papua New ...