Thursday 24 August 2023

History of the can opener

 


Here we are at another Thursday and this week instead of the word of the week, I am talking about the history of the can opener.


Although preservation of food using tin cans had been practiced since at least 1772 in the Netherlands, the first can openers were not patented until 1855 in England and 1858 in the United States. These early openers were basically variations of a knife, though the 1855 design continues to be produced.

In 1858, another lever-type opener of a more complex shape was patented in the United States by Ezra Waner of Waterbury, Connecticut USA. It consisted of a sharp sickle, which was pushed into the can and sawed around its edge. A guard kept the sickle from penetrating too far into the can.


Many attempts to improve on Warner's invention were made over the next decade and eventually the basis of the modern can opener that we recognise today came to life, with another US inventor, William Lyman, being the first to create a rotary cutter to cut around the can in 1870.


The first electric can opener, based on the cutting wheels principle, able to open more than 20 cans for a minute, was patented by Preston C. West in the USA on 1 December 1931.


In 1959, Ermal Fraze devised a can-opening method that would come to dominate the canned drink market. His invention was the "pull-tab". This eliminated the need for a separate opener tool by attaching an aluminum pull-ring lever with a rivet to a pre-scored wedge-shaped tab section of the can top.



10 comments:

  1. Leah lent me one of those can openers that cut the entire top off so there's no ridge or anything--but I couldn't get the hang of it at all. I still use a manual crank one. The pull tops are really convenient...as long as my hands still work well--lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also had trouble using on of those that cut the whole top off and pull tabs are good if I have the strength to open it

      Delete
  2. Love a pull top IF the can and lid composition is not too thick. An example...I can't pull off a Dole pineapple can top easily. Just 2/3's off the way. I'm afraid to push it as it may cut my hand if it suddenly comes off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the old beer cans that made the pull tab a selling points. Along with Coors who started the aluminum beer can with two circles you could punch out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well one doesn't want to have to struggle opening a beer

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Very interesting. I don't care for the pull off tops as you could get hurt from the edges. I always wrap them in paper towel and put them way down in the trash can so we don't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I have been cut many times opening such cans

      Delete
  5. I loved my old electric can opener, worked well and was hands free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have an electric can opener and I really like it

      Delete

Australian's Under Fire in PNG

  Ok it is time for some more about Australia under fire in 1942 starting off this week with Port Moresby, which is in the PNG or Papua New ...