Wednesday 30 August 2023

Aussie Slang Day

 


It is Wednesday and so it is Aussie Slang day this weeks slang words are as follows.

Footy: Aussie rules football played in all Aussie states but mostly in Victoria, South Australia, the Northern Territory and Western Australia the term footy is also often use when referring to the (NRL) National Rugby League in New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria the ACT and New Zealand.


Flick it on: To sell something on for a profit just after buying it for yourself.


Grog: Alcohol as in beer, spirits or wine


Gyno: Gynaecologist


Hoon: Hooligan

11 comments:

  1. I like the "what's the John Dory?" and "DO the Harry". I might throw that in my vocabulary to see if anyone knows what I am talking about. lol
    Fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I get wanting to toss some sayings into our speech just to see what other think and do they get what we are saying

      Delete
  2. Grog is a very useful collective word for different alcoholic drinks, but I never use it for good quality drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many feel that top shelve alcoholic isn't grog

      Delete
  3. I knew of a couple of these. Do the Harry has to be new--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always in aw of the words you share. I would never guess them other than gyno.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone posted a list of slang terms from the thirties the other day. Some were familiar, some not so. "Nitwittery" has been added to my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete

Australian's Under Fire in PNG

  Ok it is time for some more about Australia under fire in 1942 starting off this week with Port Moresby, which is in the PNG or Papua New ...