Friday 26 February 2021

What Jo-Anne Thinks

 

Hello everyone, it is Friday again so let's talk about what Jo-Anne thinks,..........

This morning I am thinking about depression................

I suffer from depression have done for many years, but when my eldest was a teenager she started hurting herself and I took her to see a counsellor after a few months the decision was made to try her on medication.

My daughter saw someone, so did I and the lady I saw explained that my daughter had a chemical imbalance in the brain which could take years to fix or she may have it for the rest of her life.

My depression crept up on my over time and like my daughter I had counselling for years before I was prescribed anti-depression medication. I have been on medication since 2007.

Medication is wonderful, but not for everyone.

First comes counselling, then if that doesn't help maybe medication will help.

Going on medication doesn't have to mean it is forever, my husband took anti-depression medication for only 2 years and is fine now.

Nothing can or will be done unless you admit to yourself that all is not right, you know in yourself that you are not just sad, or that you have become too emotional and you feel like everyone is plotting against you part of you knows something is wrong.

Depression isn't something you can just snap out of...........

It takes time, patience, work and maybe medication............

6 comments:

  1. I've taken an anti-depressant since about 1997 and have changed the type quite a few times. Some don't work for me. The ones that do lose their effectiveness over time. Some people think it's bad or wrong to take antidepressants and call them "happy pills." That's just silly.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on meds a couple of times, the first for about a year--of course I felt good, so I weaned myself off of them--and then again for a few years, about three years after that. It was a long journey for me to understand that I had a bona fide illness, not something I could talk myself out of. But when I struggled with suicidal thoughts every day, all day, meds were a life-saver. One tool among many, though it can tough to find something that works, especially long term. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that there is something to be had to help with this pernicious disease. It is "dis- ease" NO ease for the sufferer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, for many there is a need for both medication and therapy. Whatever it takes, all who suffer need to fight for their right to a happier life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never have been bad enough to be on meds, though I did try St Johns Wort for a while. I've learned the signs of oncoming and know how to fight it off. But like I said, mild compared to others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janie......I don't like the term "happy pills", it is silly and wrong

    Kea.......Yes they are a tool and a good one at that for most. Sadly I have meet some who do not thinnk depression is a real condition.

    Karen......So very true

    Chris......St Johns Wort can be very good for those with mils cases

    ReplyDelete

North American Porcupines

  It is Tuesday all day long and half the night and Tuesday as we all know is creature day this week we have the North American Porcupine. ...