Wednesday 20 February 2019

Creature Wednesday/Thorny Devil



Here I am late on Wednesday afternoon finely getting around to writing a post, been a fullish day, I attended my aqua class then an hour after I get home I leave again to go with Jessica to the school to talk about Leo going to high school next year.

Anyway Wednesday is creature day and today's creature is the Thorny Devil, heard of it, nope, me neither.

It is a small type of lizard found in hot Australian desert, it is covered in very sharp spines between the devils thorns are tiny grooves leading towards its head. This means that when dew collects on the lizard it can suck the water from all over its body into its mouth. So if it can't find a lake to drink from no problem.

It's sharp spines make it hard for animals hunting it to hold it in their mouths and it's colouring means it camouflaged against the sand and rocks of the desert.

If that's not enough behind its head is a fake head, a knobbly lump with two horns on it, when in danger the lizard turns its real head down, leaving the fake head sticking up. So if a predator tries t o attack its real eyes and brain stay safe.

Because of its multiple survival methods it can live up to 20 years




5 comments:

  1. Hi Jo-Anne - he's a great little lizard ... they are quite extraordinary creatures ... thanks for this - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some co-workers I believe have fake heads too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a similar type of lizard in the desert here called a horned lizard. I used to have one as a pet. They bury themselves down in the sand, too, for additional camouflage. Cute as can be in my eyes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jo-Anne, what a fascinating creature/critter! Thanks for telling us about him. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilary.......You're welcome, it is extraordinary indeed

    Chris......I so get that

    Rita......There are so many interesting creatures in the world

    Dee.......You're welcome

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's Disease Pt 11

  Here we are at another Friday which means it is time for more about Parkinson’s this week we are looking at depression. Depression is ve...