Monday 17 June 2024

United Kingdom

 


In case you didn’t know it is Monday down here in Australia, it is a cold morning and even though the temperature is rising it is still cold gone from 9 degrees(48f)to 12 degrees(53f).

Since it is Monday, we are looking at another country and this week we are in Western Europe more precisely The United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom is made up of four countries, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland it has been around since 1 May 1707 because of the Acts of Union.

The capital is London, which is in England. The population is around 67 million and the government is described as a unitary state, parliamentary system and constitutional monarchy. The current head of the monarchy is King Charles111.  

A unitary state is a sovereign state governed as a single entity in which the central government is the supreme authority.



A parliamentary system is a democratic dorm of government in which the party or a coalition of parties with the greatest representation in the parliament forms the government, its leader becoming prime minister or chancellor.



As a constitutional monarchy King Charles is Head of State, however, he doesn’t run the country, nor can he make or pass legislation that resides with the elected parliament.



The flag of the United Kingdom has been around since the 1600’s, although the early one only featured the English and Scottish flags, since the 1700’s when Queen Anne was on the throne it has more or less been the flag we know. Which I am sure most people know as the Union Jack with a white-fimbriated symmetric red cross on a blue field.

How safe is the United Kingdom, ranking 37 on the peace index site it is in the top 25 per cent o the world’s safest countries. There is a relatively low rate of homicides and good foreign relations and overall low internal and external conflict. It is in general a very safe place to visit.

 

14 comments:

  1. I was right "next door" to it when I lived in Europe for a few years..and didn't get there. I so wish I had as half my ancestry is British and the other half Scottish with a few Irish..and a few Welsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to visit England and Scotland but doubt I ever will

      Delete
  2. I am so grateful that I was blessed to travel to England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland on a college study trip. That was the one and only time I have traveled outside of the States, but I will always remember those ten weeks as some of the best in my life.
    Blessings, Jo-Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half of my family came from the Isle of Man .. right in the middle of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It even seems weird to me as an American that Queen Elizabeth is gone. She's always been the queen all my life. (Well, I wasn't quite one year old when she was crowned.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah King Charles doesn't feel right not like Queen Elizabeth

      Delete

  5. I like London, I spent a week there. :)

    wish you a wonderful new week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to visit London not going to happen but still it would be nice

      Delete
  6. I have been to England three times. I enjoyed it. Hope Charlies and Princes Kate are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, I would like to be able to visit London doubt it will happen, I also hope they are ok I really like Kate

      Delete
  7. The fascinating thing was the empire it built up over the years... the sun never set on the British Empire...

    ReplyDelete

Battle of the Coral Sea Part 2

  Ok everyone here is part two of the Battle of the Coral Sea which occurred in May 1942. Australia’s part in the battle consisted of the ...