Tuesday 2 April 2024

Creature Day/ Star-Nose Mole



Hello everyone, hope you all had a good Easter, here we are at Tuesday so that means it is creature day and this week we have the Star-Nose Mole.

So, this mole looks like a cross between a rat and an octopus with a unique snout which it uses to find food. It has 22 tentacles which together have a diameter of just 1cm they ring the nostrils and work as a tactile eye, feeling for food.

They work so quick that they earned the mole the award for fastest eating mammal. They take only one-tenth of a second to identify and consume a piece of food.



Because of its nose it can smell underwater, it blows bubbles that mix with the scent of a small fish or earthworm, it then sucks them back in and its mealtime.

With its large, scaled feet and long, thick tail it fits comfortably on an adult hand, well maybe not my hand I have small hands.

It lives in the wetlands of eastern Canada and the northeastern part of the United States.

 


26 comments:

  1. If you heard of this animal without photos, you would assume it was a myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve never seen one before - not even in a zoo. Freaky little creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A baby one found it's way into my childhood home many ages ago and learned the lesson of the mouse trap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son had a book with the star nose mole in it.. it is an unimaginable creature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, wondered what is was at first Jo-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The diversity of nature. Very interesting animal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'll say it. That's just the weirdest looking thing I've ever seen. He's sure got big feet for digging!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had seen pictures of them before but didn't realize thy were so small. Bizarre looking creature! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique creature, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say I can hardly look at it. Strangest animal I have ever seen. It really scares me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen a Star-Nose Mole before!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That thing is so ugly I feel sorry for him. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a strange and interesting creature. We have moles around here, not sure what kind of moles, I have never taken a close look at them.

    ReplyDelete

Borderline Personality Disorder & Relationships

  So here I am on a wet Thursday morning tyring to write a post about BPD but mostly just looking at the computer screen or the rain outside...