Tuesday 15 February 2022

TIGER BEETLE

 


Tuesday now which means it's extreme creature day and today's creature is the Tiger Beetle.


This is Australia's fastest insect with a top running speed of 9km/h which for its size is the same as a human running 700km/h, wow that's fast. In fact it moves so fast that while running it goes blind because its brain can't process the visual images quickly enough.


Tiger beetles are a large group of beetles, from the Cicindelinae subfamily, known for their aggressive predatory habits and running speed. The fastest known species of tiger beetle, Rivacindela hudsoni, can run at a speed of 9 km/h, or about 125 body lengths per second.



3 comments:

  1. Lovely colours on the beetle, but if one came running toward me, I'd be running, screaming at the top of my lungs, in the other direction! :-O :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the subfamily name I thought it said Cinderella. Obviously I don't have to speed for mu brain not to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks scary. At such speed, it could just hit anything. I wouldn't want to have this coming towards me at such high speed. I don't think I would be able to avoid it or run faster than this insect.

    ReplyDelete

Creature Day----Potoo

  Well, hello everyone time for another freaky creature, this week we have the Potoo. It is found in South American forest, if you saw it si...