Tuesday 28 May 2019

Gross Facts No:15


Good morning it is Tuesday so that means it is gross facts day, it is also a bloody cold day but today's facts are about the black death, some of which come from Leo.

The Black Death happened in the middle ages and killed a bloody lot of people.

Plaque doctors or any doctor at the time need three qualifications

1: To be able to lie and not get caught
2: To pretend to be honest
3: To cause death without guilt

Treatments included.............

Cutting up a pigeon and rubbing it over an infected body (Leo)

Drinking stuff like vinegar mixed with arsenic or mercury (Leo)

Sitting close to a fire in a sewer to drive out the fever (Leo)

Doctors often tasted the patients urine

The first death was in 1330 and the last was in 1405


A plague doctor was a medical physician who treated victims of the bubonic plague. In times of epidemics, such physicians were specifically hired by towns where the plague had taken hold. Since the city was paying their salary, they treated everyone: both the wealthy and the poor.



Plague doctors wore a mask with a bird-like beak to protect them from being infected by the disease, which they believed was airborne. In fact, they thought disease was spread by miasma, a noxious form of 'bad air.'


7 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of books on the plague. Right now, I'm reading about the Spanish Flu of 1918-9. That book is even more chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, not a good time to be alive back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In high school I read everything I could get my hands on at the library on the plague and the great fire of London. Was supposed to be a 3-5 minute oral book report but I was so intrigued by those two subjects in the one book I first read that I ended up reading about a dozen books and gave a very gross and dramatic report that lasted for the entire hour and 15-20 minutes of class the next day. Got a standing ovation and an A+. I still remember I read a couple of diaries and those were really fascinating. Real people's writing about what was happening. Wow! Terrible times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I gotta say, those cures sound worse than any disease.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So scary. Not a good time for those living at that period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris.......That would be so intersting

    Margaret.....I agree

    Rita......Now that is cool, I love history

    Karen.....Oh yeah I agree

    Nancy....same here

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are more than happy to complain about bad service online, so look for sites and testimonials that are terrible so that you know what you're getting into. https://weddinginvitationvideo.com/

    ReplyDelete

Borderline Personality Disorder

  Have you heard of borderline personality disorder? Do you know what it is? Well, I am going to tell you. Borderline personality diso...