Tuesday 5 September 2023

Satanic Leaf-Tailed Gecko

 


Hello everyone, how many of you have heard of the Satanic Leaf-Tailed Gecko, I have not heard of it and the look of it isn't pleasing to my eye but you may think different.


With its demonic red eyes, angular horns and wicked smile, its easy to guess how it got its name.



It is native to the rainforests of Madagascar, it also has an alarming red mouth that it uses to scare off predators. If you don't scare easily then consider its other defence mechanisms such as camouflage.


It is easy to mistake it for a leaf instead of the tail of this tiny gecko if you tried to pick it up it is likely to drop its tail and scamper off.


It doesn't just look like a leaf but it acts like one too, spending most of the day hanging motionless from a tree branch or curled among leafs on the ground.


It is only about 100-110mm (11cm) in length or about 4 inches so pretty small.

9 comments:

  1. It's a weird looking thing Jo-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love it! But then I have always liked chameleons, anoles, geckos and all kinds of salamanders and toads. I have never heard of them but they are so cute! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim would love it too, my niece would have a meltdown from fear

      Delete
  3. I love how much it looks like a leaf. It's name and look remind me of Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a leaf and yeah I get the Halloween thing

      Delete
  4. We have quite a few skinks here that climb around our rock walls. My grandsons love to try to catch them, but they're fast. A friend of mine just spent a couple of weeks in Australia and visited some really interesting places in Tasmania. Maybe one of these days I'll get there. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

BPD Identity Disturbance

  So here we at Thursday so it is time for a post about Borderline Personality Disorder. This week we are looking at identity disturbance. T...