Friday 8 September 2023

Jo-Anne's Thoughts

It's Friday it is overcast and cool but at the moment not raining, I have been talking to my eldest daughter about her job she is in child care as in she works for a Goodstart Early Education Centre a job she mostly loves and is pretty damn good at.


Anyway she was telling me about a child they have there who has severe Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) now we are familiar with ODD as my nephew has it as does my grandchild Sam but nowhere near as severe as this child my daughter is dealing with has it. He is so bad that other children are afraid of him as well as a number of the staff including my daughter.


The child destroys stuff, hits people and generally attacks other people and is a nightmare to be around.


Now when my nephew was little he was suspended from day care and also expelled from day care for hitting other children and being argumentative with staff. How times have changed this my daughter is dealing with cannot be suspended or expelled because the day care she works for don't do that. I wish there was such a place when my nephew was little. He attended 3 or 4 day care places before settling kind of into a place.


Now I think it is great the Goodstart are not as strict as the places my mum had to deal with when my nephew was little but the staff and other children should not have to deal with physical abuse from anyone let alone a child of 5yrs old. They will be glad when he starts school and since he is nearly 6yrs old that should be next year. In fact I was surprised he was still in day care at 5yrs old and not already at school.


14 comments:

  1. They don't start first grade here until they are six years old. But at five they are usually in kindergarten. But maybe he's not ready yet. That is sometimes the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes children start kindergarten at 5yrs here too maybe he is to uncontrollable for school

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine having to deal with such a child, Jo-Anne. I sure hop your daughter can hang in there.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be a difficult line to walk, making sure that the chld with issues has a place to go, and making sure the staff and other chldren are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is difficult but they keep on going and are not one to throw in the towel even if they want to do so

      Delete
  4. Praying for the child. Sounds a lot like a demonic thing. May God work with love and patience here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also prayed for this boy he has it hard and needs God's guidance

      Delete
  5. I have some young friends who has a child with ODD and it got so bad with him that they had to send him to a special school out in the midwest. He's been there a year now. So sad. He threatened his mother and sister. He is 10 years old. I always felt uneasy about him - I've known him since before he was born. He is their first born son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some children do have it bad, thankfully Sam wasn't as bad as others he was a handful and would often be bouncing off the walls jumping around the furniture and he still has a habit of stabbing things and will destroy stuff when upset. My nephew went to a special school that has only 15 students

      Delete
  6. My grandson is in something called TK and he will be 5 in a few weeks. He should be there for two years. I am so sorry to hear this about this little boy and also about your nephew. I haven't heard of this before. I will pray for him along with praying for your daughter and her classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter said she thought my grandchild Sam and nephew Dawson were bad but compared to the child she needs to deal with they were pretty good. I have prayed for the little boy Kathy has to deal with

      Delete
  7. Sad to hear about this child.. as well as you nephew who had to go through this. May they find the help they need to work through this disorder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that children like them now can get real treatment and not locked away in a institution

      Delete

BPD Identity Disturbance

  So here we at Thursday so it is time for a post about Borderline Personality Disorder. This week we are looking at identity disturbance. T...