Tuesday 25 October 2022

EXTREME CREATURE DAY


 

Well here we are at Tuesday and this week's extreme creature is the Double Drummer, any idea what it is?


Well it is a Cicada, now we all know that cicada's are loud but the double drummer is one of the noisiest. Once it gets going, it can produce a song that's louder than a jackhammer!


They make their sound in their abdomen by vibrating a membrane extremely quickly, only the male sing.


The double drummer, is the largest Australian species of cicada and reputedly the loudest insect in the world. Documented by the Danish zoologist Johan Christian Fabricius in 1803, it was the first described and named cicada native to Australia.


5 comments:

  1. I knew it was some kind of Cicada right off the bat! A summertime song which I seem to be the only one of my friends to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a Mexican restaurant named Cicada. Good Cal fresh Mexican cuisine.

    We don’t have many here where I live but I’ve heard them when I have traveled in other parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that was how they made their sound. They certainly can be loud, but I haven't heard the ones that can be jackhammer loud.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only heard American cicadas and they are loud enough for me. lol!

    ReplyDelete

Borderline Personality Disorder/Fear of Abandonment

  Hi, everyone this week we are looking at fear of abandonment and borderline personality disorder. We all must deal with the death of a lo...