Thursday 18 August 2022

SHINGLES

As some of you will know on the 27 July I was diagnosed with shingles on my scalp and in my left eye. So I am doing a post about shingles. I am improving but still have a lot of bloody pain

and find my eye waters like a dripping tap when trying to watch TV or use the computer. So I am doing things for a short period of time giving my eye a break. I have to see my optometrist asap to check the eye according to my GP.

Most cases of shingles last three to five weeks. The first sign is often burning or tingling pain; sometimes it includes numbness or itching on one side of the body. Somewhere between one and five days after the tingling or burning feeling on the skin, a red rash will appear.


A reactivation of the chickenpox virus in the body, causing a painful rash.

Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. It isn't known what reactivates the virus.

Shingles causes a painful rash that may appear as a stripe of blisters on the torso. Pain can persist even after the rash is gone (this is called post-herpetic neuralgia).

Treatments include pain relief and antiviral medication such as aciclovir or valaciclovir. A chickenpox vaccine in childhood or a shingles vaccine as an adult can minimise the risk of developing shingles.


Generally shingles is not contagious, but a person with active shingles can spread the virus when the rash is in the blister phase. It's important to keep the rash covered. Most cases of shingles last 3-5 weeks. Most people get shingles only one time, but, it is possible to have it more than once.




5 comments:

  1. I can't imagine having that in my eye... my Dad used to get a summer fungus infection in one eye. Back then, all they could do is scrape the fungus off the eyeball and patch it for a week or so. It was hell on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris.............It is painful and watery and annoying add to that I have a thing about eyes, your poor dad must had suffered a bloody lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. I know a few people who have had shingles, various ages, including one in his 30s and one who got shingles over her eye when she was pregnant. I've heard it's very, very painful. I hope you're well on your way to recovery and never again experience it. I've had the shingles vaccine now (both 1st and 2nd dose), so hope that if I get it, the vaccine will have helped lessen the symptoms. Lots of healing vibes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kea..........Painful it is and frustrating with my eye so watery can't have certain lights on because it irritates my eye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Jo-Anne, didn't know you had shingles. They do say it's very painful as you would well know...hope you will feel much improved very soon if not before 'very soon'..

    ReplyDelete

Working Life in the 1890's Australia

Ok this week we are looking at farming in the 1890’s Australia with the invention of milking machines dairy farmers were encouraged to use t...