Tuesday 28 April 2020

Arlmadillo



Hello everyone, here we are at another Tuesday, so of course it is creature day and todays creature is the Armadillo.

As its name suggests it has an armour, on its back are bands of hard bony scales which make it difficult for predators to bite into. One species the three banded armadillo can roll into a ball making it protected all over. Other species can run and hide in thorny bushes as their armour can protect them from the thorns, or they wedge themselves into their burrows so they cannot be pulled out.

If a nine banded armadillo feels threatened it may jump straight up in the air, unfortunately this means they are killed on roads as they jump in front of passing cars.

They have a life span of 12-15 yrs and are 15-25cm's in height

8 comments:

  1. I actually saw one at a roadside rest stop in Arizona - They are interesting little creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jumping into cars- never had that, but had a squirrel fall out of a tree in front of me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll never forget the first time I saw an armadillo. I was in Florida visiting my aunt and uncle and I had absolutely no idea what I was seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret D.........Yeah they are

    Nancy........They sure are

    debby......How cool

    Chris.......I find jumping in front of cars weird

    Karen.......I would wonder too if I didn't know

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting little critters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I got married and moved to Florida, I saw my first armadillos. They dug up the lawn every day of every week of every year!

    ReplyDelete

Time for another creature

  Hello Tuesday, you are day for another freaky creature, this week it is the Common Basilisk, have you heard of it? I have not but it is a ...