Hello Tuesday, time for a bit more about the dog on the tuckerbox.
A nation-wide competition was conducted to obtain the most suitable inscription for the monument, and the committee held that the lines written by the late Brian Fitzpatrick, of Sydney were the most appropriate. The verse reads...........
Earth's self unfolds this monument
To conquerers who won her when
Wooing was dangerous and now
Are gathered unto her again.
Today as the dog, a silent reminder of the pioneer days sits sentinel-like at the Five Mile, Gundagai people acknowledge the huge debt it owes to the men who gave the district its great and invaluable publicity medium, and realise that had it not been for the vulgar doggerel concocted by a bush bard over 100 years ago. Who was inspired by a dog's misbehaviour, there would have been no Pioneers' Memorial and Gundagai would be minus the greatest publicity medium that has been given to any town in the Commonwealth.
After World War 11 a decision was made to erect a kiosk at Five Mile and to beautify the area by planting Australian trees and shrubs. The Gundagai Shire Council, Hospital Board and the Rotary Club combined in the big effort to raise the funds and on the 24th April 1956 the then Premier of New South Wales, the late Hon J.J Cahill M.L.A unveiled a plaque on the kiosk. The inscription was:
This Pioneer Memorial and Park were officially opened by the Hon J.J. Cahill M.L.A, Premier and Colonial Treasurer of NSW on 24th April 1956.
More next week............