Tuesday 13 March 2018

Indestructible Creatures/ Starfish



Hello everyone here I am on this Tuesday morning it is a nice morning not too hot nor too cold kinda just nice. Been up since 6am when Leo arrived, I was wondering why he was so quite and when I walked down to check and he was asleep on his bed but he is awake now as I can hear him. It is nearly time to take him to school.

Anyway here is this weeks indestructible creature, the Starfish yep the Starfish we have all heard of a Starfish but did you know that like the Flatworm the Starfish are good at regenerating and can often regrow a lost arm. Because when a hungry ocean hunter tries to crap a Starfish they end up with just an arm, as their arm can easily come off when they are attacked. Although it isn't a fast thing and can take months for the new arm to grow.

In some species an arm that has been cut off can grow into a whole new Starfish, to regenerate animals need special cells called stem cells, which can change to form any type of body part. Flatworms and Starfish have lots of them and can use them as needed.

Humans also have a few stem cells and we can regenerate some bod parts such as fingertips that have been cut off (never heard of that). We can also regrow our liver if part of it is removed, that I did know.



13 comments:

  1. Just arrived at the beach today for 10 days vacation and I'm hoping to see some starfish, I think they are such interesting creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love starfish though I have never seen one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That one is pretty in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi J0-Anne - enjoy having Leo ... and those starfish ... I'd love to see one - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do, Leo is amazing and so caring and loving

      Delete
  5. I wish we could regenerate teeth! LOL!
    Have a great day
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course, the liver thing doesn't apply to alcohol damage...

    ReplyDelete

North American Porcupines

  It is Tuesday all day long and half the night and Tuesday as we all know is creature day this week we have the North American Porcupine. ...