Wednesday 7 October 2020

My Mother's Words

 TAKE THIS CHILD

Take this child just for a loan

I'll lend you for a little time

a child of mine, he said for you

to love while they live and mourn

when they die.

It may be six or seven weeks, months or years

Or twenty two or three or longer still.

Will you to I call them back take care of them for me,

They will bring their charms to gladden your heart and

should their stay be brief, you'll have their lovely memories.

As solace for your grief.

I cannot promise they will stay since all from earth return,

but there are lessons taught down there I want this child to learn

I've looked the wild world over in my search for teaches true and

from the throngs that crowds lives lanes , I have selected you.

Now will you give this child all your love, nor think the labour vain, nor hate me when I come to call and take the child back again.

I fancied that you have heard them say, dear Lord thy will be done. For all the joy the child shall bring the risk of grief will run.

Will shelter them while their here and the happiness they bring, forever grateful for their stay.

But should the angels call for the child, much sooner then planned, you'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand and maybe someday we will.

THE ABOVE WAS WRITTEN BY MY MUM IN THE LATE 80'S AFTER THE DEATH OF MY COUSI

8 comments:

  1. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    What a beautiful and touching poem your Mum wrote for her sister/brother...
    She said it all so well and so true.
    We often get to enjoy some dear loved ones for a brief period.
    It never seems long enough...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness I thought it was professional. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...and I totally agree with her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem your mother has written - it's really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A touching poem by your mother. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow... beautiful and so special. Hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mariette........Aunty Pat is dad's sister and it was her sone who passed

    Sandie......Thank you

    Rita......Thanks

    Margaret D.......Yes it is

    Nancy........Thannks I like it

    Chris......Mum was good at writing in my opinon

    ReplyDelete
  8. That makes it even more valuable from the heart of your Mum! Great LOVE...

    ReplyDelete

Lest we forget

  They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and i...