Friday 1 March 2024

Parkingson's Disease Pt 7

 


Well hello Friday you have arrived at last, that makes it sound like I have been waiting a long ass time for you to come around but nope not the case just the usual amount of time from one Friday to the next.

Here is a little more about the slowness that comes with Parkinson's Disease. Slowness can also effect ones speech over time with people often unable to raise their voice, this is because the slowness of movement effects the muscles of the chest and diaphragm as well as those of the larynx which results in speech becoming softer, slower and slurred. I have heard Tim say often that I don't speak loud enough, I don't think that is the case as I sound normal to me.

Even though family and friends of a Parkinson's sufferer may find the slowness o movement irritating and frustrating it is part of the disease and however, much we try we cannot hurry or go faster.

Everyday tasks such as dressing, washing and eating can over time take longer to achieve, our love ones need to remember it is also very frustrating for us suffers as well. We try and do things as fast as possible but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. We still think as normal no slowness there unless the condition is well advanced or we are effected by side-effects of treatment.

We do not need people to speak slower for us to understand, we understand just fine the problem is getting our bodies to do what our brain says to do.

Next week we will talk about balance.

7 comments:

  1. Are there support groups for family members, educating them just as you are educating us? That way it helps out those who have Parkinson's - and family members would be on the same page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this has to be so frustrating not only for you but for your family, too. I do appreciate all the information you have given us about Parkinson's, Jo-Anne. It certainly has enlightened me.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Learning something here, about the voice. That would make it even harder around those who don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting and gives me a chance to earn. I met several folks with Parkinsons and while I knew about walking and some other things muscularly related, I knew nothing else. This will enable me to be supportive and understanding. You are doing a service. And thank you so much for coming to see Katie Isabella...and commenting on Dai$y as well. (HUGS)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your point about not needing people to speak slower for understanding, but rather the challenge lying in executing what the brain commands, is particularly poignant. It highlights the disconnection between intention and physical capability that can be so frustrating for individuals with Parkinson's.

    I look forward to learning more about balance next week. Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights, and I hope you have a restful and enjoyable weekend!

    By the way, don't forget to check out my new blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am learning a lot. Thanks for filling us in--and anybody who reads these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry you are going through this and yes, everyone needs to be aware that you are doing the best you can. They need to have patience with you. So can you tell me how far along you are in your Parkinson's journey. (((HUGS)) You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Week 17 of 2024

  DAD PASSED 5 YEARS AGO A decent enough night, it is another wet morning with the temp being 16 degrees. I had to turn the heater on for ...