Wednesday 20 March 2024

Australian Prime Miniters

 Good morning all I thought I would share something about our Prime Ministers, first up what annoys me is that many can tell you who was America's first president was but not who our first Prime minster was but moving on here is a little info about Aussie P M's

Australia has had 31 Prime Ministers since 1901 with Edmund Barton being our first and Anthony Albanese our current Prime Minister, Julia Gillard was our only female Prime Minister.

Our federal elections are held every 3yrs, however, our Prime Minister can call an early election, there is no fixed term for Prime Ministers.

Our longest serving Prime Minister was Sir Robert Menzies who served for a total of 18yrs & 163 days. His first tenure was between 1939-1941 but his second tenure was from 1949-1966.

Our shortest serving Prime Minister was Frank Forde who only held office for 7 days in 1945. He became Prime Minister immediately after the death of John Curtin on 5 July 1945, his term ended when Ben Chifley was elected on the 12 July 1945. Frank Forde was our 15th Prime Minister.

There are three main or major political parties in Australia The Australian Labor Party, The Liberal Party and the Nationals, these are the parties that have held office at one time or another since 1910.

14 comments:

  1. I wish we had three parties that could compete. I foresee trouble and - shamed to say it- we might be better off should two old men pass before the next election. Heard a lot about Menzies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what we have isn't perfect but it is better then some other countries, cool that you have heard of Menzies

      Delete
  2. The members of the largest party in Parliament select the prime minister from their own ranks. Thank goodness! He/she is a politician, not a royal or head of state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want King Charles running the country

      Delete
  3. Interesting. I basically know nothing about Australia except the birds because that's what I dealt with. Probably because you are so very far away. Was it good that Menzies served that long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I wasn't around back when he was PM I can only say what I have been told some think he was one of the best we have had

      Delete
  4. I admit I don't know a lot about Australia and its government. Is the Prime Minister like the President?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Prime Minister is like a president as far as I know

      Delete
  5. I find it interesting that they can call for elections when they choose. Not that way here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least we all know who Crocodile Dundee is! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know anything about your Prime Ministers. That they don't have a certain tenure is amazing to me. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know that till I researched for the blog post

      Delete

Earth Facts/Weather

  It is Monday and the last day of the school holidays. It is also time for thi s week’s facts, this week we are looking at weather. The w...