Tuesday 5 March 2024

Burrowing Owl

 


Hello Tuesday I hope everyone is doing well this morning, or night, or afternoon whenever you are reading this.

Today we are looking at the Burrowing Owl, this is a ground dwelling owl that makes it nests in burrows dug by other animals such as squirrels, armadillos, skunks and gophers in the open plains throughout North America.

Galloping across the ground on their long legs they pounce on their prey which include insects, small mammals, amphibians, reptiles and other birds at either dusk or dawn.

Left on their own in the burrow while parents hunt, juvenile owlets scare off predators my mimicking the sound of a rattlesnake.

The surround their nests with mammal waste this heady concoction attracts dung beetles which is one of the favourite foods.

The burrowing owl, also called the shoco, is a small, long-legged owl found throughout open landscapes of North and South America. Burrowing owls can be found in grasslands, rangelands, agricultural areas, deserts, or any other open, dry area with low vegetation

18 comments:

  1. I'm sure we must have these up here in North Dakota, but I didn't know about the little ones mimicking a rattlesnake. But I don't think we have any rattlers in North Dakota--lol! I am more familiar with snowy owls, I think. They also live on the ground, I thought. Now I will have to google them--lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew of them or that they live on the groung that was odd to me but fasinating as well

      Delete
  2. Might have seen one a while back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, I wonder why that would be, maybe because I am in a different country

      Delete
  3. I didn't expect owls to be such energetic carnivores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re Aussie slang, I loved pedal pushers in the 1960s. What do Brits and Australians call them now? Americans call them Capri pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just call them 3/4 pants but have heard them called capri pants

      Delete
  6. Did you see the one that has a butterfly in his mouth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did, I thought it was awesome but maybe not for the butterfly

      Delete
  7. I had never heard of these owls, Jo-Anne. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Earth Facts/Weather

  It is Monday and the last day of the school holidays. It is also time for thi s week’s facts, this week we are looking at weather. The w...