Tuesday 17 November 2020

Indestructible Stuff

 

Another Tuesday is here so that means it is indestructible stuff day, today it is Tungsten this I have heard of.


In the early days of light bulbs inventors faced a tricky problem, to make bulbs glow they had to make electricity flow through a fine wire or filament.


Filaments made of carbon or platinum soon overheated and broke, meaning light bulbs burned out often but when they tried tungsten they lasted longer and light bulbs really took off.



Tungsten worked so well because it is one of the strongest, hardest and most heat-resistant metal there is. In fact it has the highest melting point of any metal.


Tungsten is also incredibly dense and heavy, if a soccer ball was made of solid tungsten it would weigh more then 100kilos or 220 pounds.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting facts. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew what it was used for but I had never actually seen a picture of it or realized how heavy it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see Messi score with THAT ball...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'd actually heard of this one, but I didn't know the story about the light bulb so I did learn something here today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea! Very interesting post about tungsten. Thanks for posting! I always learn interesting things when I read your blog...

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have heard of Tungsten but that was about all, it's interesting to read what you have written about it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    Very interesting metal this tungsten or Wolfram!
    Biggest amounts in China, Russia, Canada etc.
    Let's hope they never run out of it.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea about that regarding tungsten. Thanks for the facts! (hug)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the knowledge bomb! I did not know this.

    ReplyDelete

Australians Under Fire Intro Pt 1

  So, after going through some stuff, I found this book called Australians Under Fire 1942 and have decoded to use it for my Wednesday posts...