Tuesday 10 November 2020

Indestructible Day

 


Hello again, hello Tuesday, well here we go with more indestructible stuff, this week we have Wurtzite Boron Nitride heard of it, me neither...........


For a long time diamond held the title of hardest natural material but in 2008 scientists did some testing on other rarer minerals and found that one preformed even better in hardness tests.

The new hardest mineral is Wurtzite Boron Nitride, like diamond it can be formed due to a meteorite strike and its very hard to find.


To test hardness the sample is whacked with a tool called a indenter to see what happens When Wurtzite Boron Nitride was hit it rearranged its crystal structure making itself harder then diamond.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. But I think I'll stick with the diamond on my finger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of it. May be very hard but not that pretty--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard of this. Thanks for sharing the facts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing it is harder than diamonds.
    Never knew of this at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    Sure did not know that but guess we never have to deal with it...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was interesting enough I decided to do a little information digging on it. Unfortunately, not being a geochemist it didn't teach me anymore, other that it needs to be tested in pure form to see all its properties, and it's so darn stable they can't purify it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juli.....Yeah me too

    Rita......Same here not pretty at all

    Nancy........You're welcome

    Margaret D......Yeah that was a surprise to me too

    Marettie........Most of us are the same

    Chris....All over my head too

    Debby.........Me too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought, right up until I read this post, that diamonds were still considered the hardest material.

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's Disease and postured

  Time to learn a bit more about Parkinson’s Disease this week at posture and dribbling, first off is posture. Many people thing of the char...