Monday 26 August 2024

Suriname



Good morning this Monday I have a country I have never heard  of before,  others may know of it.

Suriname is a small country on the northeastern coast of South America. It's defined by vast swaths of tropical rainforest, Dutch colonial architecture and a melting-pot culture. On its Atlantic coast is the capital, Paramaribo, where palm gardens grow near Fort Zeelandia, a 17th-century trading post. Paramaribo is also home to Saint Peter and Paul Basilica, a towering wood cathedral consecrated in 1885.

The country was once known as Dutch Guiana, is one of South America's smallest countries. It enjoys a relatively high standard of living but also faces serious political and economic challenges. Since independence from the Netherlands in 1975, Suriname has endured coups and a civil war.



The official language is Dutch the population around 623,000, the currency is the Surinamese Dollar. The Surinamese dollar has been the currency of Suriname since 2004. It is divided into 100 cent. The Surinamese dollar is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or alternatively Sr$ to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies.



The flag of Suriname was legally adopted on 25 November 1975, upon the independence of Suriname from the Netherlands. The flag was designed as a result of a national competition. It was raised for the first time on the Independence Day of the Republic of Suriname.



Suriname's culture and society strongly reflect the legacy of Dutch colonial rule. It is the only sovereign nation outside Europe where Dutch is the official and prevailing language of government, business, media, and education; an estimated 60% of the population speaks Dutch as a native language.

 

 


11 comments:

  1. First tike I heard the name Suriname was as a newly wed in Florida. I found the house we bought had Suriname cherry plant. Never heard of the Country nor knew of the plants.https://www.eattheweeds.com/surinam-cherry-only-ripe-need-apply/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cherry plant is cool I have never heard of it till now

      Delete
  2. We hear next to nothing about this country here in the States. So interesting that on this majority Spanish and Portugese continent, that Dutch is the homeland language. Blessings, Jo-Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew of it, but you told me things I didn't know, like its civil war. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased I told you something you didn't know

      Delete
  4. I looked it up once due to the weather it was having. Now I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting country, thank you for all the information about Suriname

    ReplyDelete
  6. From way back when I went to school I knew it as Dutch Guiana, I believe. But so many countries have changed names and sometimes even borders since the 1960s--I probably couldn't name half what is on some of the continents nowadays. Never had heard of this one!

    ReplyDelete

Autism in adults

  When we think of autism, we generally think of children, but adults may recognise the signs of autism in themselves often this will happen...