Tuesday 18 June 2024

Electric Eel

 


Hello and good morning a I start this I am out of breath as I am in the progress of cleaning the bathroom and just taking a few minutes to sit and type this out.

Sam picked today’s creature, it is the Electric Eel, because she likes the sound of it.

Anyway, according to this book on freaky creatures it isn’t really an eel it is a knifefish, a freshwater species which is known for its ability to make electricity.

It has a long cylindrical body containing cells called electrocytes that store power like tiny batteries. When hunting or threatened these cells can release a charge of at 600 volts which is a bloody it would take a horse down.

Generally speaking, a jolt from one will not kill a human but multiple shocks may, or the person may end up drowning as a result of being shocked.  

They grow to 2.5 meters or 8.2 feet and weigh around 20 kilos or 44 pounds, they have flattened heads and are usually dark green or grey on top with a yellowish stomach. They can live for between 5 and 20 years.

They live in streams in the Amazon and Orinoco basins of South America.

10 comments:

  1. Bless its heart - it looks snake-like to me. I’m not getting into any waters with eels, snakes or creatures that resemble them. Noooo thank you. 🐍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't find me in any water they may be in either, it is too damn creepy for me

      Delete
  2. Not an eel? That's a new one on me, Jo-Anne. Those critters are not a species I'd like to meet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!!! Guess I won't be swimming in South America!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be afraid if I met the electric eel in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can't believe they have that much electricity in them. Thank you for sharing the electric eel with us.

    ReplyDelete

A bit about asthma

Hello everyone, today we are looking at a serious medical condition called Asthma, a conditioned I am sure most people have heard of. I have...