Friday 14 July 2023

Jo-Anne's Thoughts

 Here we are at another Friday so a day to share my thoughts on something but what I need to have a little think. Well since Tasha is in hospital let's talk about hospitals.

Hospitals have come a long way they are generally staffed by kind and competent people.

When in hospital do you like getting visitors and do like them to stay a while or only 10-15 minutes. I prefer short visits over longer ones as generally after 10-15 minutes you can run out of things to talk about and if you are unwell you may just want to sleep. Thankfully visiting hours are not as restricted as they once were. At the John Hunter Hospital visiting is allowed anytime between 8am and 8pm except between 1 and 3pm when it is rest time.

I remember the days when parents usually had to leave their sick child in the hospital alone over night as parents were not allowed to stay with the child. I remember Mum telling me that once when my sister was in hospital suffering from a severe asthma attack and after being told to leave her as she would be fine there overnight Mum refused and sat by her bed all night, the staff were not happy but Mum didn't care she wasn't leaving her child.

Are you or do you know someone who is sure if they go to hospital they will die there. This is something that can scare a lot of the older generation. I don't have that worry as yet.

Also there is the issue of parking at a hospital our local hospital is large and busy and it's not uncommon to have trouble finding a parking space and then there is the cost of parking at some hospitals it is way expensive, thankfully not so much at the John Hunter Hospital as we have a disability parking permit in my name.


18 comments:

  1. Hospitals can be scary but they are very necessary. I hope Tasha is ok!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son, Dagan, was in many times when he was little and as he was growing up--but he always went to Children's Hospital in Minneapolis so I could always stay with him 24/7 if I wanted to. It is not that way in other hospitals, that's for sure. He still goes back to Children's in Minneapolis for his heart and pacemaker checkups every year or for his surgeries. Although he goes to a special area where the heart kids who have grown into adults are. So many of them have had cutting edge surgeries and survived that regular cardiologists don't know how to deal with that they had to accommodate them as they grew up. Since I have dealt with Children's hospital for 48 years it is always really weird to me to have to check the visiting hours at other hospitals. I am spoiled. I could always be there for him. Now it is Leah. He is in good hands. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that you could stay with him when he was little as little kids need their mum or dad when in hospital which can be a scary place for many

      Delete
  3. I'm sure your daughter will be home soon.
    Hospitals have changed so much, or more so the people that make the decisions. Parking here is also a great problem especially for the elderly who can't walk the distance from the car to the hospital, then along the long corridors to the wards even if going up on the lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is home now came home last night and is doing ok and thankfully hospitals are not as strict and authoritarian like they use to be

      Delete
  4. Parking is horribly expensive. I had to take my oldest constantly for 10 years, at 3 dollars per time at one hospital and 5 dollars a time at another!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get the first 20 minutes free then it goes up to $2.50 each hour can't remember the max you pay per day but it isn't cheap

      Delete
  5. I'd rather not have visitors. No I don't think I am going to the hospital to die. Parking is bad at our hospital also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also would rather not have visitors and now days with video calls it would be much easier to ring then visit

      Delete
  6. The last time I was in the hospital was in January of 2022; acute pneumonia. I never want to be back in a hospital if at all possible. Even though the doctors and nurses were kinder than kind, I just wanted to go home. As far as leaving a child alone at the hospital overnight, no way!
    Hope Tasha gets better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Tasha hates hospitals and is home now she said she would be home on Friday and she was because she is pushy and demanding. I wouldn't leave my young child alone in hospital

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about Tasha being in the hospital! Can't say anything different about the parking and stuff here in the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha is recovering and is home and struggling, I think parking in many places is expensive and difficult to find

      Delete
  8. Hope Tasha is back home soon. When my son was in the hospital, I didn't leave his side, he was really young though, in pain and scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is home and struggling but happier, young children need a parent with them when in pain and scared

      Delete
  9. Best wishes for a quick recovery!
    When my first son was young in 1974, he pulled boiling water from above his head and burnt the skin down one side of his little body. The Children's Hospital (in Perth) could not have been more sympathetic or accommodating to us, the young parents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is good I think a children's hospital is more understanding back in the day

    ReplyDelete

BPD Identity Disturbance

  So here we at Thursday so it is time for a post about Borderline Personality Disorder. This week we are looking at identity disturbance. T...