Thursday 10 December 2020

Thursday's Poem

 

I Measure Every Grief I Meet

Emily DickinsonBy  More Emily Dickinson

I measure every Grief I meet
With narrow, probing, eyes –
I wonder if It weighs like Mine –
Or has an Easier size.

I wonder if They bore it long –
Or did it just begin –
I could not tell the Date of Mine –
It feels so old a pain –

I wonder if it hurts to live –
And if They have to try –
And whether – could They choose between –
It would not be – to die –

I note that Some – gone patient long –
At length, renew their smile – 
An imitation of a Light
That has so little Oil –

I wonder if when Years have piled – 
Some Thousands – on the Harm – 
That hurt them early – such a lapse
Could give them any Balm – 

Or would they go on aching still
Through Centuries of Nerve –
Enlightened to a larger Pain – 
In Contrast with the Love – 

The Grieved – are many – I am told – 
There is the various Cause – 
Death – is but one – and comes but once – 
And only nails the eyes – 

There's Grief of Want – and grief of Cold – 
A sort they call "Despair" – 
There's Banishment from native Eyes –
In sight of Native Air – 

And though I may not guess the kind – 
Correctly – yet to me
A piercing Comfort it affords
In passing Calvary – 

To note the fashions – of the Cross – 
And how they're mostly worn – 
Still fascinated to presume
That Some – are like my own –



Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/i-measure-every-grief-i-meet-by-emily-dickinson

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Jo-Anne,
    A great poem about Grief and its different varieties.
    The Grief of Want would be awful... Being Content is life's best vitamin!
    Grief of Cold must be awful... not being able to warm your cold bones and barely being able to catch sleep.
    Yes, there are many people that grief more or less alike.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great poem by a great artist.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a lovely one Jo-Anne..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many are grieving inside but they have chosen to put on a brave front with a smile. Because of Calvary, there is hope.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It grows and lessons, the very same grief, some days bearable, other days just unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mareitte......Well said my friend

    Janie.....Thanks

    Margaret D......m.Inndeed

    Nancy......So true

    Karen......That's for sure

    ReplyDelete

Lest we forget

  They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old; Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and i...