Friday 5 April 2024

Parkinson's Disease Pt 12



Friday has arrived, so it is time for another post about Parkinson’s disease and this week we are looking at memory.

Now every man and his dog have memory problems which with age can get worse and having Parkinson’s and memory problems is just one more issue to deal with. Now I am not talking about having Parkinson’s dementia or Alzheimer’s but just normal memory issues which can be significant for someone with Parkinson’s.

It is seldom bad enough to cause a handicap, but we need to do the usual things when one has a bad memory such as writing things down, having a notepad handy is a must. I have one on my desk and one in my bedroom, as I often thing of things I want to do the following day just after going to bed and will get up and jot things down.

A usual and annoying symptom is when we are talking to someone and suddenly can’t remember what we were saying and just stop talking. If you are talking to someone with Parkinson’s and they suddenly stop talking don’t snap at them, just give them a few moments and usually it will come back to them, and they will continue the conversation.

Even though this thought block is annoying and frustrating, it is not considered a serious symptom from a medical point of view. As, it does not indicate any progressive mental deterioration or psychological abnormality.

Unfortunately, there is bugga all treatment for this and we just have to learn to deal with it.

  

14 comments:

  1. "He'd like to say he didn't have that happen, but he didn't like to lie..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many would say it didn't happen but that would be a lie

      Delete
  2. You have given us such valuable insight into the ramifications of this disease, Jo-Anne. Thanks for being so honest with all of us.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, this is my life and I like to share my life even when it is an uphill struggle

      Delete
  3. You sure are educating me and as I get older, I am starting to meet others with Parkinson’s as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased that you are getting something from these posts, writing them helps me as well

      Delete
  4. Many people who begin to talk to another person or a few people often forget what they were going to say even after they have started speaking. Frustrating for many as for you Jo-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is frustrating and I know I am not the only one to have such a problem and don't have to have Parkinson's for it to happen

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing all this personal information. You're helping everyone else in the world that has Parkinsons, be better understood by those of us that don't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those kind words, I find writing these posts helps me understand better what is happening to my body

      Delete

  6. That's good to know and also very understandable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know many people have such memory problems and most of them do not have any disease it is just they way it is, hard for some to understand though

      Delete
  7. There are memory issues with fibro also. Commonly called "fibro fog". And also with cancer treatments. So I got the double whammy--lol! Dagan and Leah complain how I don't remember things they told me. Happens especially when I am super tired and/or in a lot of pain. Sounds like you remember faster than I do. It's quite annoying, yes. Just have to live with it--that's right. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn right it is annoying it isn't fun for us to be forgetting shit also annoying when we don't have something to write stuff down so we don't forget but we have forgotten to take a not pad with us and yes we have our phones but I am not good at writing stuff in my phone I prefer a note pad and pen but I am old school.

      Delete

Borderline Personality Disorder & Relationships

  So here I am on a wet Thursday morning tyring to write a post about BPD but mostly just looking at the computer screen or the rain outside...