Friday 12 April 2024

Parkinson's Disease Pt 12


Friday has arrived, so it is time for another post about Parkinson’s disease and this week we are looking at memory.

Now every man and his dog have memory problems which with age can get worse and having Parkinson’s and memory problems is just one more issue to deal with. Now I am not talking about having Parkinson’s dementia or Alzheimer’s but just normal memory issues which can be significant for someone with Parkinson’s.

It is seldom bad enough to cause a handicap, but we need to do the usual things when one has a bad memory such as writing things down, having a notepad handy is a must. I have one on my desk and one in my bedroom, as I often thing of things I want to do the following day just after going to bed and will get up and jot things down.

A usual and annoying symptom is when we are talking to someone and suddenly can’t remember what we were saying and just stop talking. If you are talking to someone with Parkinson’s and they suddenly stop talking don’t snap at them, just give them a few moments and usually it will come back to them, and they will continue the conversation.

Even though this thought block is annoying and frustrating, it is not considered a serious symptom from a medical point of view. As, it does not indicate any progressive mental deterioration or psychological abnormality.

Unfortunately, there is bugga all treatment for this and we just have to learn to deal with it.

 

9 comments:

  1. I see where Alan Border the ex-cricketer must have same as you Jo-Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are educating all of us about this disease, Jo-Anne. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea ... thanks for filling us in Jo-Anne.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Yes, there are a lot of things to consider. I'm learning so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this. Glad you write things down. I think I need to do more of that.

    ReplyDelete

Borderline Personality Disorder & Relationships

  So here I am on a wet Thursday morning tyring to write a post about BPD but mostly just looking at the computer screen or the rain outside...