Monday 8 April 2024

Earth Facts-------Rivers

 


Here we are on Monday yet again, this week we are back to some facts about the Earth.

Seas and oceans are constantly moved by tides, which are caused by the Moon. As the Moon travels around the Earth the force of its gravity makes the water on either side of the Earth bulge. In a 24-hour period this will cause two high tides and two low tides when the sea level is at its highest or lowest.

Rivers are formed when streams join together, flowing across the land and eventually into the sea or lake. The alter the surface of the Earth over time by eroding the rocks they flow over and by depositing rocks, pebbles, sand and slit as they go.

The Pacific Ocean is the worlds largest ocean covering around 30 per cent of the Earth’s surface.

The longest river is of course the Nile at 6,853km or 4,258 miles in length.

The shortest river is the Roe River in Montana at only 61 metres or 201 feet in length, in 1989 it entered the Guinness Book of Records as the shortest river.  

 


 

14 comments:

  1. I actually didn't know the Nile was the longest. I can't believe I missed that all these years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something I learnt some how during my life but not at school, I don't remember much of my school days

      Delete
  2. I like rivers. My town is a “River” town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I live a 10 minute walk from Lake Macquarie

      Delete
  3. I always thought that the Amazon was the longest, and I had no idea about the shortest river being in Montana. Blessings, Jo-Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea what shortest river would be till I did this post

      Delete
  4. That really is one short river! lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I didn't think a river could be so short

      Delete
  5. The earth amazes me when I think about how long it's been here and how much water there is compared to land.

    ReplyDelete

  6. I learned here today that there is such a very short river. 61 metres,
    astonishing. I love the ocean. Austria only has mountains and lakes.
    Wish you a nice new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there was such a short river in the world till I did the post

      Delete
  7. I remember when I was little (really, I do) and I saw the Maumee River, instead of the tiny river near my house, as a big massive body of water nearer Lake Erie. Blew me away. Rivers like the Mississippi I cannot even conceive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many of us as children cannot imagine how big some rivers are

      Delete

Borderline Personality Disorder & Relationships

  So here I am on a wet Thursday morning tyring to write a post about BPD but mostly just looking at the computer screen or the rain outside...