Friday 12 January 2024

Parkinson's Disease

 


Hello everyone as many will know I was officially diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease last year although the first sign of a tremor started way back in 2015, being told at first I had a Functional Tremor although back in 2016 or 2017 I was prescribed some kind of Parkinson's medication for a short trial, which didn't work. I was also told that the tremor wouldn't get worse which of course it did.

When I went back and asked why I was getting worse I was referred to the movement disorder clinic which turned out to be one other neurologist who agreed it was a Functional Tremor and shouldn't get any worse. It did.

In 2021 Tim and I decided to pay to see a private neurologist the other visit were through the public health system, this guy wasn't sure he thought possible Functional Tremor with some Parkinson's overlay and referred to another neurologist this time in Westmead, Sydney a 2hr drive from where I live.

This neurologist thought a Dystonic Tremor with some kind of Parkinson's thrown in and arranged for me to see another team of movement disorder people, this time there was something like 15 in total who checked me out discussed my case amongst themselves and decided it was more Parkinson's then anything else.

I was also started on Parkinson's medication the first lot didn't do much so she tried another type which helped more but still not satisfied I was changed to another, then another which is the Madopar I am taking now which works pretty well. I still shake and it has spread to my feet and I still breakout in sweat and have balance problems when tired but overall I am doing better.

This will be the first post of a few about Parkinson's Disease.

15 comments:

  1. I am glad you are doing some information on Parkinson's because I don't know much about it and would like to know more about what you are dealing with. So glad you finally are on medication that is working better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I also want to understand this condition more and writing about it will help, I hope

      Delete
  2. Right, a nasty condition that nobody knows much about until they or a loved one receives a diagnosis. The more information, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Takes some sorting out Jo-Anne but at least you finally was diagnosed, it's the journey there and hopefully your tablets continue to work somewhat for you - take care, it certainly isn't pleasant ( have nursed people). You are a strong women Jo-Anne and your determination helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes not as straight forward as people may think when it comes to getting a diagnoses all you can do is keep asking questions like why am I getting worse after being told I wouldn't at least the medication is at last working

      Delete
  4. I have a friend with Parkinson's, she has had it for over 20 years. She has good days and bad days. Hopefully it progresses slowly or stalls altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it slows down or comes to a stall at some point

      Delete
  5. I was unaware, until now, that you are living with Parkinson's, Jo-Anne. That's got to be rough! I hope this new medication will truly help you.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard and some days are harder then others but all I can do is keep getting up and doing stuff

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear this. ((Hugs)) I'm glad you found a medication that has been helping but I am sorry to hear it is spreading. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the spreading sucks but there are some good days and I am doing better with the medication

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry for your health challenges but glad you've found something to help manage the symptoms. So sorry to hear it's spreading. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good on you to post about this. So many either feel they're alone in their symptoms or their circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that feeling of being alone and how can others understand if I can't understand myself

      Delete

BPD Identity Disturbance

  So here we at Thursday so it is time for a post about Borderline Personality Disorder. This week we are looking at identity disturbance. T...