Monday 14 June 2021

Facts on Queen's Birthday

 Good morning all, another bloody cold start to the day, it is a public holiday here for the Queens birthday. So here are 5 facts about Her Majesty.

Queen Elizabeth II was born on the 21st of April 1926. She'll turn 94 this year. The Queen's April birthday is a private affair which she spends with her family. The occasion is marked with 21 gun salutes in Windsor Great Park, 62 gun salutes at the Tower of London and 41 gun salutes in Hyde Park.

This tradition dates back to King George II (1683-1760) whose actual birthday was in November. As the weather wasn’t reliable enough for large public celebrations of his birthday, his official birthday was moved to coincide with the Trooping of the Colour in summer.

She’s the longest-reigning British monarch,

She speaks fluent French

During the Second World War, the Queen received driving and mechanic training.

She’s the only person in the UK who can drive without a licence.

8 comments:

  1. Okay, I thought she'd already had a birthday. Then I saw about the guys getting awards on Queen's Birthday. Thanks for the explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly several celebrations for her birthday..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! Why doesn't she have a driver's license!
    94--that's how old my dad was when he died.
    She has reigned most of my life and I'm 70--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a very special person and queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know she's fluent in French. I wonder if she has spoken it on the occasion(s) she has met with our (Canada's) current Prime Minister. I bet she spoke it with one our former PM's, Jean Chretien!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jo-Anne, Queen Elizabeth is ten years old than I. In 1940, when I was four and she was 14, I can remember seeing photographs of her and Margaret in Life magazine. All the little girls I knew during the war years (1941-1945 in US) thought the two of them were wonderful. We saw photos of them with their parents touring/inspecting the East End after bombings in the blitz. We saw her in a military uniform, driving a jeep. She was truly inspirational to this eof us here in the United States. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy the photos of the public birthday celebration. Thanks for the facts.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris......You're welcome

    Margaret D.......Yes there is

    Rita.......Yes she has been Queen all my life

    Nancy........Yes she is

    Kea.....I didn't know that either

    Dee.......My Mum was always a fan of the Queen and also thought she was inspiring

    Janie.....You're welcome

    ReplyDelete

Working Life in the 1890's Australia

Ok this week we are looking at farming in the 1890’s Australia with the invention of milking machines dairy farmers were encouraged to use t...