Wednesday 11 March 2020

Lyrebird




Hello Aussie Day here at my little ole blog. This week I am telling you a bit about the Lyrebird.

A lyrebird is either of two specie of ground-dwelling that compose the genus Menura, and the family Menuridae.

They are most notable for their superb ability to mimic natural and artificial sounds from their environment, The lyrebird is capable of imitating almost any sound and they have been recorded mimicking human sounds such as a mill whistle, a cross-cut saw, chainsaws, car engines and car alarms, fire alarms, rifle-shots, camera shutters, dogs barking, crying babies, music, mobile phone ring tones, and even the human voice.

The striking beauty of the male bird's huge tail when it is fanned out in courtship display. Lyrebirds have unique plumes of neutral-coloured tailfeathers and are among Australia's best-known native birds.

They get their name because of the of the tail of the male bird. When the tail is raised over his head, it looks like an ancient musical stringed instrument called a lyre.





11 comments:

  1. They're as talented with their mimicry as a parrot! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on the Lyre bird, I always thought it was Liar bird!!
    We have seen them when we stayed in a caravan park in Lakes Entrance where there was a lot of bushland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this kind of bird; wow! Stunning to see and apparently with amazing mimicry talents! Thanks for posting this; you certainly can learn something new every day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew of them as I watch so many public TV nature series shows. But I have never heard one that was recorded and ut out for people to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very unique bird. Haven't come across them except in pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a pretty amazing bird!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of them but I think the male's tail is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of the Lyrebirds. Reminds me of our peacocks here in the States and it shares the ability to mimic any sound with our mockingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rita.......That they do

    Rosie.....You'e welcome, they are beautiful birds

    Kea......I am pleased I told you something new

    Katie.....I learnt about them when I was a child

    Nancy......They are

    Chris.......Yes they are

    Karen........Yes it is

    MW........Yes they sound alike

    ReplyDelete
  10. AAPKI NEWSConsidering Investing In Real Estate? Understand This

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's Disease Pt 11

  Here we are at another Friday which means it is time for more about Parkinson’s this week we are looking at depression. Depression is ve...