Tuesday 8 August 2017

Sleep

How do you sleep at night?

What if you can't sleep, what do you do?

Do you ever find your brain doesn't want to shut down and you just keep thinking about things?

I have had nights when I end up thinking, just stop thinking and go to sleep but usually it doesn't work and I continue to think about things, often strange things, like the wives of Henry VIII, I have no idea why I would suddenly try remember his wives names and what order they came in but I do and in case you are interested I can name them.

Thankfully those nights happen less often now days, when I put my C Pap mask on and turn the machine on it helps me go to sleep with little trouble. I generally sleep straight through the night till my alarm goes off at 4.30am although I do not set my alarm on the weekend any more.

I saw on Sunrise this morning that a new report shows that our obsession with technology is affecting our sleep and lack of sleep is costing the country something like $66 billion a year, what the hell....................

The report found that inadequate sleep is highly prevalent in Australia with an estimated 39.8% of Australian adults experiencing some form of inadequate sleep.
That’s equivalent to four in 10 Australian adults — or 7.4 million people.

The comprehensive report revealed that sleep deprivation was linked to 3,017 deaths in 2016-17, with 394 of those occurring because a person has fallen asleep at the wheel of a vehicle or from industrial accidents due to lack of sleep.

The remaining deaths are heart disease and diabetes deaths linked to sleep disorders



So I hope everyone is getting plenty of good quality sleep................

9 comments:

  1. I have been very lucky I sleep pretty well not perfect. I pray a lot and I do deep breathing exercises...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great, sleep is so important and often taken for granted

      Delete
  2. I sleep best if I wake up during the night a couple of times. I can usually "tell myself a bedtime story" to do the trick. Usually radio won't help if I'm struggling, as I tend to pay attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Telling yourself a bedtime story sounds like what I often do, I lay in bed and think about what I would do if I had an endless supply of money for 24hrs

      Delete
  3. I usually fall asleep easily, but I often wake up very early (maybe 3 a.m.). When I awake I read a book, or occasionally I get up and watch a movie. After a little while, I'm sleepy again and I go back to bed.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good you know what to do to get back to sleep and not just lay there frustrated because you can't sleep

      Delete
  4. I definitely don't get enough sleep. I fall asleep but wake up in the middle of the night and that's when my brain just won't shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only occasionally I find it difficult to sleep. When that happens, I will make myself a hot cup of milo, read my bible or a book or pray and after a while when I feel sleepy, I go back to bed. Thank God, it is only once in a while when my mind overworks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to go in cycles with sleep. I have periods of insomnia but then I go back to sleeping better. The older I get the less I seem to struggle with sleep issues.

    That's interesting about technology interfering with sleep. I am not surprised, though.

    ReplyDelete

Parkinson's Disease Pt 11

  Here we are at another Friday which means it is time for more about Parkinson’s this week we are looking at depression. Depression is ve...