This week we are looking at the condition of Laryngitis,
this is the inflammation of the larynx, or voice box, that affects the vocal
cords and often causes a hoarse, weak, raspy voice or temporary voice loss. It
is usually short-term and commonly follows a cold, flu, or other upper
respiratory infection.
The common symptoms are:
Hoarseness or a strained, rough, breathy, or weak voice
Temporary loss of voice
Tickling, rawness, or dryness in the throat
Sore throat or dry cough
A frequent urge to clear the throat
Laryngitis can be caused by infection, voice overuse, or
irritation. Common triggers include viral illnesses, shouting or singing loudly
for long periods, smoke, chemical fumes, allergies, and acid reflux.
Laryngitis often improves on its own, and self-care such as
resting the voice, drinking fluids, and humidifying the air can help symptoms
improve. Avoid whispering if it strains your voice, and try to stay away from
smoke, dust, and other irritants while your throat heals.
However, if hoarseness lasts more than two to four weeks or
symptoms are getting worse, or you have fever, trouble swallowing, coughing up
blood, or unexplained weight loss. Then it is time see a doctor .
Not very nice to have at all, Jo-Anne.
ReplyDeleteBlogger still being glitchy - your post hasn't shown on my feed, the last post you did according to my feed was 3 days ago! So, I thought you would have surely done a post since then, so I clicked on it and low and behold you have a new post - stupid blogger!
Blogger has been having a hissy fit lately
DeleteFunny, I kind of woke up with this.
ReplyDeleteNot something I would like, I hope you only have a mild case
DeleteThank you for sharing this information. Hope your week is going well.
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome and its been a good week
Delete