Tuesday 2 July 2024

Surinam Toad

 


Hello everyone since it is Tuesday it is freaky creature day and today’s creature is the Surinam Toad.

The common Surinam toad or star-fingered toad is a purely aquatic species of frog in the family Pipidae with a widespread distribution in South America.

It looks like a leaf or flat rock; it is also known as a star-fingered toad due to the tiny star on the tip of each four fingers on its front legs.

It will lay flat on the riverbed with its arms outstretched and uses them to find food, if something brushes up against the stars it sucks it up.

The species is known for incubating its eggs in honeycombed chambers in the skin of the mother's back, releasing fully formed froglets after a period of 4–5 months. Once fully formed they pop free and head for the water’s surface to breathe. The mum then sheds its skin ready for the next breeding season.

This was the last creature in my freaky creature book, so I will have to see what else I can find I do have one on dangerous spiders but I’m not sure about that.

 

17 comments:

  1. I am not a spider fan and you guys have the most terrifying spiders in the world! Go for it if you want to but I think I will probably pass on the spiders--LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like spiders either and am in two minds over writing them

      Delete
  2. I do love your strange creature feature here, Jo-Anne. I am not so adverse to spiders as long as they stay outdoors where they belong. They certainly do their part in the controlling insects during the summer. Who could argue with that?
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spiders have their place and it isn't in my home, yeah we get huntsman's around at times but if they stay up in to corner of the ceiling away from me I just don't look at them

      Delete
  3. Very interesting little frog. 🐸
    I’m not afraid of spiders. I think they’re misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a strange creature, I don't like spiders but they have a place just not my place

      Delete
  4. What the heck is THAT!!!! Definitely a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, it is certainly odd looking. That is very different about the eggs on their backs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree odd with the eggs and shedding their skin

      Delete
  6. What about "Dangerous Critters"? Australia certainly has a lot of them. The US does, as well. Most of them live in Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment cracked me up as I am sure the dangerous ones in Washington all walk on two legs

      Delete
  7. I don't know if Misty would hop at that one or not. "Hop" at it? Not intended, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely freaky!! Spiders give me the heebie jeebies, all kinds and all sizes. Hope you're doing well...enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Physical Symptoms connected with BPD

  Hello everyone and welcome this week I am sharing just four other physical ways people with BPD may be affected. In times of intense str...